From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libstdc++.so.6 - another gcc upgrade problem?
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 08:16:18
1 On Wednesday 06 September 2006 23:02, Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 9/6/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Aha! Am I then supposed to
4 > > unmerge 'media-fonts/font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi' ?
5 >
6 > Not sure...but I think it is better to use type1 fonts than bitmap fonts.
7
8 How do you tell if it is bitmap or not? Why is it better? (I need a lot of
9 educating when it comes to fonts ;-)
10
11 > Generally modern applications should not specify a font in the
12 > "*-lucida-medium-..." form, but rather something more natural like
13 > "Lucida-10". This will go through the Xft library to locate the font.
14
15 It seems that the different Fluxbox styles and especially the older ones are
16 still using the XLFD naming convention. I'll be loathed to change all by
17 hand - although I might just do that for the styles that I use often.
18
19 > ...better. Ok this was found on my system, and an "equery belongs
20 > lucidaterminal-10-m-r.pcf.gz" shows it came from lfpfonts.
21
22 Hmm, according to http://sourceforge.net/projects/xfonts/ :
23
24 "As of 2006-07-28 09:17, this project is no longer under active development."
25
26 > So it looks like I was wrong about lfpfonts having Lucida. That will
27 > give you a truetype LucidaTerminal, but I also found the "Lucida" font
28 > if you really want that. You'll need to merge font-bh-100dpi and
29 > font-bh-75dpi.
30
31 You've such a wealth of info I hope that you along with some of the more
32 learned guys around here never leave Gentoo! ;-)
33
34 > Also, fc-list will give you a list of the fonts that fontconfig knows
35 > about.
36
37 Ditto! I didn't know that fc-list existed. It confirms that Lucida does not
38 exist in my system (bar the LucidaTypewriter that I have just emerged):
39
40 $ fc-list | grep -i lucida
41 LucidaTypewriter:style=Sans Bold
42 LucidaTypewriter:style=Sans
43
44 I'll emerge font-bh-100dpi and font-bh-75dpi and check to see if the different
45 style files work. Thanks again for your help.
46 --
47 Regards,
48 Mick