From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] use of /usr/src/linux symlink
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:23:39
1 Something which I havn't found any explicit elaboration of in the
2 documentation...
3
4 The convention in the Linux/gentoo filesystem seems to be to have a unique
5 directory for each installed kernel in /usr/src, with a symbolic link to
6 the 'current' kernel directory named /usr/src/linux..
7
8 The question is - is this just a user convenience, or will parts of
9 the system break if it is not maintained correctly?
10
11 The reason I ask is that if I have several kernels which I have configured
12 grub to allow me to select from at boot time, where should this symlink
13 point? The newest kernel? An experimental one being worked on? The one most
14 recently booted from. If the latter case then it is likely to be wrong for
15 a finite period following boot until the system has come up far enough to
16 allow me to update it.
17
18 Anyone know what is likely to break (if anything) if I boot from a kernel
19 other than the one which corresponds to the directory /usr/src/linux points
20 to, and neglect to update the link? Does it direct (for instance) the target
21 directory for an emerge of new kernel components? Or does it perhaps have to
22 point to the kernel being built during any recompile?
23
24 Regards,
25 DigbyT
26 --