From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 20:15:43
1 On 2013-04-07 4:09 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:25:50AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-04-05 4:11 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Do you have your network interface drivers built into the kernel or are
5 >>> they modules?
6 >>
7 >> I'm very interested in the significance of this question...
8 >>
9 >> My server is module free, so all drivers are built into the kernel.
10 >
11 > The significance is that the kernel determines the eth* name order.
12 > Right now, you are lucky in that the order is what you think it should
13 > be, but if something changes in the kernel causing your cards to be
14 > initialized in a different order, you will not be allowed to swap them
15 > around in the eth* name space, e.g. eth1 can't become eth0 or visa
16 > versa.
17 >
18 > That is why it is recommended that you use something like net0, net1,
19 > etc for your interface names.
20
21 Wow... that is actually what I was thinking it meant, but wasn't sure...
22
23 Thanks for the validation!