From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean and python needed by scribus.
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:37:42
1 On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Paul Hartman
5 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> You actually compile OO? Wow! OO-bin for me. Couple of minutes and
8 >>>> it's installed.
9 >>>
10 >>> Same here. I compiled it for a long time (double meaning!), but when I
11 >>> realized the amount of time spent compiling it was greater than the
12 >>> amount of time spent using it... I decided to go oo-bin as well.
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> I haven't even tried KDE on Gentoo due to compile times, but less OO.
17 >> No patience for that stuff.
18 >>
19 >> I'm just about ready to build my first new desktop PC in 4 years and
20 >> will have to decide on the very highest AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz
21 >> vs one of the new Intel i5 or i7's. No matter what I choose I might
22 >> finally be able to build KDE in maybe a few hours.
23 >
24 > I have Core 2 E6600 overclocked 25%, using /dev/shm for portage tmpdir
25 > and kdelibs4 compiles in about 20 minutes, give or take a couple
26 > minutes depending on system load.
27 >
28 > My last openoffice emerge was 1 hour 34 minutes. My last
29 > openoffice-bin emerge was 29 seconds. :)
33 kdelibs on any of my machines is at least an hour - probably 2. I'm
34 running things like a 4 year old 3Ghz single core Athlon 64-bit. I
35 suspect that the newer processors would change that significantly. ;-)
36
37 - Mark