From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Power supply or motherboard dead?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:27:34
1 On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 06:41 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > A Gentoo desktop of mine won't turn on anymore. I was hoping it was
3 > the power supply but I've installed a new one which doesn't fix the
4 > problem. Is there a sure way to know if the motherboard needs
5 > replacement or if I have two dead power supplies?
6
7 Well, it could be the cpu too. Or a PCI card - I've had them render
8 computers "useless" until they're removed. In fact, I recommend
9 removing everything (PCI cards, etc) but cpu, cpu fan, and one hd
10 (disconnect the ide cable) and then try to turn it on again.
11
12 Of course you also need to test the outlet - plug a light into it to
13 make sure your outlet works!
14
15 If it still doesn't work, you know it's either cpu, mb or ps.
16
17 If it's an old style AT power supply with a hard on/off switch you can
18 just plug in a couple of fans and turn it on.
19
20 If you have one of those new ATX power supplies that young-uns seem to
21 be using nowadays then its a bit more complicated!
22
23 Firstly you need some load. If you're not sure about your mb, you can't
24 use that. So you'll need at least a hard drive or two (I like using
25 cdroms, cause there's nothing much to damage, however they spin down
26 after a while) and probably a fan so you can see something spin. Unplug
27 all connections to the mb (IDE cables, power supply, fans etc) so you've
28 just got the load connected directly to the PS.
29
30 Here comes the hard part: you need to find pins 14 and 15 and short them
31 out! I recommend you unplug the PS from the wall (a switch is ideal),
32 short the pins, turn on the switch, see what happens for a few seconds
33 at most, then turn the switch back off. Try not to use the plug itself
34 to turn the power on. This is RISKY! Make sure you get the right pins!
35
36 I've used this test a number of times. Many thanks to
37 http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm for the ideas.
38
39 HTH,
43 You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading
44 this sort of trash.
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list