From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 15:32:01
1 On Wednesday, May 04, 2016 09:58:37 AM John Blinka wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentooers:
3 >
4 > I have a new Dell 17 5759 with core i5-6200U skylake cpu on which I'm
5 > trying to dual boot windows 10 and gentoo. All the rest of my gentoo
6 > hardware is much older, so this new laptop introduces 2 technologies new to
7 > me: uefi and 64 bit kernels.
8 >
9 > I installed gentoo using the x86 handbook and a recent sysrescuecd usb
10 > drive. The install was unremarkable except for trying to build a 64 bit
11 > kernel. No matter what I do, the kernel build fails very early with the
12 > message:
13 >
14 > kernel/bounds.c:1:0 error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64
15 > instruction set.
16 >
17 > Looking at bounds.c does not enlighten me.
18 >
19 > I've tried specifying a 64 bit kernel in various ways:
20 >
21 > setting CONFIG_64BIT=y and CONFIG_X86_64=y via make menuconfig,
22 >
23 > make defconfig, which claims it uses an x86_64_defconfig, and sets the 2
24 > configuration variables above to "y",
25 >
26 > and genkernel, which says it's getting arch-specific config.sh from
27 > /usr/share/genkernel/arch/x86_64/config.sh, which also sets the 2 variables
28 > above to "y".
29 >
30 > So, a 64 bit sysrescuecd kernel does run on this box, and its /proc/cpuinfo
31 > tells me that it does indeed have a core i5-6200U cpu which, per Google,
32 > does support the x86-64 instruction set. I believe I've told the kernel
33 > make system that I want a 64 bit kernel and that the cpu I want to run it
34 > on supports the x86-64 instruction set. Not trusting my kernel config
35 > knowledge, I've tried letting clean kernel installations produce a 64 bit
36 > kernel configuration for me via make defconfig and genkernel, both of which
37 > appear to be attempting 64 bit configurations. All of these attempts fail
38 > the same way. I've tried all of this on gentoo-sources-4.4.6 and
39 > -4.1.15-r1.
40 >
41 > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
42
43 You should use the AMD64 handbook, not the x86 handbook, if you're trying to
44 install on x86_64 hardware.
45
46 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
47
48 More importantly, you should be booted into a 64-bit environment. That means
49 using a 64-bit live image for your initial boot, and using an amd64 stage3.
50
51 EFI has similar requirements; you'll need to be booted via EFI in the first
52 place in order to set up the bootloader properly; your firmware won't make the
53 necessary hardware calls available to register your bootloader if you're not
54 booted in EFI mode.
55
56 HTH.
59 :wq