From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xinerama and Xrandr
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 08:55:56
1 I have been playing with my X-configuration this weekend and I can not really
2 get it to work the way I like. My desktop box has two Nvidia cards installed
3 with one monitor connected to each. On to of that I am running KDE (v 4.3.5 at
4 the moment).
5
6 # lspci | grep VGA
7 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS]
8 (rev a1)
9 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400 GS]
10 (rev a1)
11
12 If I have "Option Xinerama on" in the ServerLayout section in xorg.conf then
13 KDE uses both monitors (in Xinerama "mode") but I can not use any "Desktop
14 effects" as "Compositing is not supported". Also a lot of GUI programs reports
15 "Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"."
16
17 If I set "Option Xinerama off" in xorg.conf then KDE only "runs" on one of the
18 monitors and the "Desktop effects" works great. And the other GUI's does not
19 give me that Xlkib error message. But now the only way to start a GUI on the
20 second Monitor is to prefix it with DISPLAY=:0.1 or use --display :0.1.
21
22 Does someone have any suggestion how I can "get the best of both worlds"?
23 i.e. Compositing && KDE using both monitors.
26 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
28 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!