From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: IPTables question... simple as possible for starters
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:22:32
1 On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > shawn wilson <ag4ve.us <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> Also see nftables: http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/
6 >
7 > Interesting read.
8 >
9 > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg
10 >
11 > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Netfilter-components.svg
12 >
13 > Where is the diagram for nftables, in some detail?
16 > How secure is nftables, currently? I could not find any results of
17 > published penetration testing against nftables vs ip,eb,x(tables)?. Any
18 > published results against an array of penetration testing?
21 First, I don't know what they mean by xtables vs iptables:
22 # whereis iptables
23 iptables: /sbin/iptables /usr/include/iptables /usr/include/iptables.h
24 /usr/share/man/man8/iptables.8.bz2
25 # readlink /sbin/iptables
26 xtables-multi
27 # whereis xtables-multi
28 xtables-multi: /sbin/xtables-multi
29
30 Right? So, that's just being neadlessly verbose.
31
32 Per testing. As long as they didn't do anything stupid (I seriously doubt that):
33 http://www.cvedetails.com/product/1656/Netfilter-Core-Team-Iptables.html?vendor_id=959
34
35 Would I convert a prime time server to using nftables right now? Hell
36 no. Is it safe, probably.
37
38 > Also, libmnl, seems to be a library looking for developers to use?
39 > It seems very early stage to me, and not ready for prime-time, at
40 > first glance? What did I miss?
43 No idea.