From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR & GPT dual compliant format
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:36:17
1 Tom H <tomh0665 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > > > I you're using GTP but want to stick to MBR, then you create 1MB
6 > > > partition to hold the boot loader, then /boot and the rest.
7
8 Hello,
9
10 The idea is to be able to set up a batch of 2T+ disks now and in the future,
11 all pretty much the same (generic) layout for both bios based systems and
12 efi systems, so the drives do not have to have the partition tables changed.
13 A standard partition scheme will put the extra disk space (according to
14 size) all into the /usr/local partition. A wide variety of File systems will
15 be imposed on the /usr/local and maybe the other
16 (3) partitions:: /; /boot/: /usr File systems can change, especially what
17 is on /usr/local. Distributed file systems will be routinely tested too.
18 All drive will keep the default boot-drive partitions, maybe for multiple
19 different systems/kernels (all linux though) so if a drive is to be used
20 as a non-boot drive, the some of the partitions may not be mounted for a
21 particular experiment (cluster/codes) configuration. I hope this clearly
22 states the ultimate goal so the myriad of bios systems I have can be used,
23 but also the same scheme with many new embedded and efi based systems with
24 many different processors (and Soc) on the mobo. Much of the testing will
25 be only changing codes on gentoo systems. But there will be time when a
26 *buntu cluster is tested, keeping all the hardware identically the same
27 as a gentoo reference run.
30 Testing a wide (wild?) variety of clusters will constantly mix and match
31 disks to various motherboards and embedded systems (with sata) interfaces.
32
33 So what I'm looking for is for someone to edit the partition table I
34 post below, so that it looks like what I need. I have tons of verbiage of
35 what to do, but not a single, example partition table of what it would
36 actually look like (perhaps as viewed by several different (CLI)
37 partitioning tools (gdisk, fdisk, parted) to highlight the minutia
38 of the partition table.. A companion fstab (ext2/3/4) that works, would be
39 keenly appreciated. I only ask because I have failed at this effort in the
40 past and currently.
41
42 > > > About the 100MB EFI-partition: it's a Microsoft recommendation:
43 > > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_System_Partition, read the
44 > > > "create the partition" section.
45
46 I intend to only use grub-legacy for this effort. But, some explanation
47 as to when I would absolutely need grub-2, if that case even exists, would
48 be keen knowledge to have. Some other common distros, when I cannot get
49 something to work with gentoo, would be alpine and arch, when a gentoo
50 solution evades me. I might even spin up a complete (DC/OS) like mesosphere
51 or CoreOS for benchmarking. The idea is to take a small cluster and spin it
52 up with several different (cluster centric) solutions to problems and
53 measure the performance in a variety of test surveys. The suspected outcome
54 is that gentoo that is minimized and optimize (including kernel and
55 compiler and framework tweaks), is always the performance king of the
56 clusters. At this point my evidence is anecdotal and not 'publishable
57 grade'. I want to be fair to the bloated vendor communities and have a
58 consistent hardware platform, for these test-surveys.
59
60 Additionally, searching out details of kernel tweaks that optimize
61 a particular problem-set of cluster-code-solutions is also of keen interest
62 to me.
63
64 > > Please bottom-post.
65
66 Agreed.
69 > > The OP wants a partition scheme for both "standard" and efi firmware,
70 > > so he wants an EF02 (gdisk name) of 1MB and an EF00 (also gdisk name).
71
72 Guys, the drives are 2T and larger, so the ridiculously largest partition
73 size needed in the worst case scenario, that works as specd-above is the
74 best answer.
77 > > The OP wanted the EF02 to be mounted as "/boot" so it has to be larger
78 > > than 100MB in order to accommodate multiple kernels (and possibly
79 > > initramfs "thingies" as they're sometimes called here).
80
81 I have never had a linux system with less than 6 kernels, often many more,
82 just for that one system. I use to hack kernels for breakfast (2.2-early
83 3.x) so yes tons of space for kernel hackery is warranted. All kernels will
84 also be archived to a separate backup machine/system. Kernel tweaks (as
85 found in kernel sources, as well as many codes in the wild, pretty much
86 means that endless kernel tests are warranted and that does require gigs of
87 disk space and organized back end storage and notations.
90 > Then the OP is lucky as the handbook describes this exact scheme the OP
91 > wants. Only one adjustment should be considered - I would recommend
92 > around 500 MB for /boot if the OP wants to use multiple systems and if
93 > disk space is of no special concern.
94
95 I was think 2G for /boot. Here is a common partition table and subsequent
96 fstab that folks are encourage to edit as to what they would use for this
97 universal partitioning scheme.....
100 #parted -l /dev/sda
101 Model: ATA WDC WD20EARX-00P (scsi)
102 Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
103 Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
104 Partition Table: msdos
105 Disk Flags:
106
107 Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
108 1 1049kB 211MB 210MB primary ext2 boot
109 2 211MB 139GB 138GB primary linux-swap(v1)
110 3 139GB 952GB 813GB primary ext4
111 4 952GB 2000GB 1049GB primary ext4
112
113 corresponding fstab::
114 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
115 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
116 /dev/sda3 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
117 /dev/sda4 /usr/local ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
120 All comments and examples are most welcome. I do need some 'thinking out of
121 the box' on this effort. Request for automating of tools, ipxe to ansible
122 will be subjects of future needs.
125 TIA,
126 James