From: Daniel Wagener <stelf@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc to compile Gentoo on the laptop
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:44:17
1 On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 01:04:19 -0500
2 Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello Gentoo users, I have one of the higher end pentium 3s running at 1ghz
5 > on a laptop. I have started to install Gentoo on it. Once Stage 3
6 > (Hardened) and Portage were installed, the first things I installed
7 > were vim and distcc. My desktop is a amd quad core at 2.8 ghz stock.
8 > When I had Gentoo on it once before, compiling went really fast using
9 > MAKEOPT=-j5. My desktop is now running Fedora 16 and it's 64-bit,
10 > LUKS, RAID0. I looked up from the Gentoo Handbook and the Gentoo Wiki
11 > documentation about distcc. It all seems to assume that all the other
12 > computers are also running Gentoo. Also because the desktop is running
13 > 64-bit Fedora, and the laptop can only run 32 bit, there is the need
14 > for cross compiling. Here's all the issues I am running into that I'm
15 > asking for help to solve.
16 >
17 > 1. Both systems are not Gentoo.
18 >
19 > 2. Fedora has distcc and distccd available in the repos, but both
20 > packages are 64 bit.
21 >
22 > 3. The need for cross-compiling between architectures. The Gentoo Wiki
23 > says use crossdev. That package is available in the Gentoo
24 > repositories through emerge, but when I checked with my Fedora system,
25 > it was not.
26 >
27 > 4. According to what I read, gcc version a.b.c where a, b, and c are
28 > numbers, a and b need to be the same on both systems. It is ok for c
29 > to be different. My Gentoo has gcc 4.5.x while Fedora has gcc 4.6.x.
30 >
31 > So my question is if this is do-able and if anybody has experience
32 > doing this. I want to do the distcc both for the learning experience
33 > and because just emerging distcc on the laptop alone took at least 2
34 > hours.
35 >
36 > Christopher Lemire <christopher.lemire@×××××.com>
37 > Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0
40 What about a different approach: gentoo in a VM on the desktop
41 Would that not be much easier?
42 Of course some processor power is used for the VM itself, but it should still significantly decrease compilation time on the laptop.
43 Plus you can easily equip other machines with that VM and use their power too.