From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playing .wav files?
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 17:54:39
1 On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 05:28:05PM +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > What do you use to play .wav files? I've come across a collection which I'd
5 > like to be able to play, but I can't find a usable player in Gentoo. Media-
6 > sound/wavplay doesn't do it.
7
8 About any non-specialized audio players will support .wav alongside
9 any popular formats (ogg, mp3, etc...). No need to be looking for a
10 wav-only player.
11
12 When just want to play about anything supported by ffmpeg, video
13 players can be simple too, aka media-video/mpv can play .wav from
14 the command line (also supports many audio output backends).
15
16 For basic tools, there's "aplay" from alsa-utils, or "play" from
17 media-sound/sox (SoX can also be used to work on wav files from the
18 command line, transform, trim, adjust volume, etc...).
21 ionen