From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd and LUKS
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 05:52:41
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 09/04/2013 11:12 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 > On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:16:55AM -0500, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >
7 >>> Well, it’s an experiment, but I’m still quite hesitant to switch. It really shuts down fast
8 >>> (1 to 2 seconds or so), but I don’t see much improvement in booting time (still around 40
9 >>> seconds until KDM is finished). I like the small stuff around it though, for instance
10 >>> timedatectl is neat and that there is no consolekit thread spam in htop.
11 >>
12 >> Even considering that you need to input the LUKS password, 40 seconds is too much. You can
13 >> use systemd-analyze and systemd-analyze blame after a fresh boot to see what is taking most
14 >> of the boot time.
15 >
16 > I stopped the timer during password entry. systemd-analyze said (IIRC, netbook is off ATM) a
17 > little more than 20 seconds altogether. But as I mentioned it’s a slow machine. From the kind
18 > of noises it made during boot, I guess that the HDD is the bottleneck. The time from the
19 > initial blank X screen to KDM alone is more than 10 seconds. Perhaps there is still stuff
20 > starting in the BG.
21 >
22 >>> I also see now why some people rant about it, e.g. that it has an own logging daemon (“one
23 >>> big block of everything”) which uses a binary data format. OTOH, logging becomes very handy
24 >>> with it in that you can see all messages associated with a particular service. Systemdadm
25 >>> is a start, but impractical on a netbook screen.
26 >>
27 >> Don't forget journalctl -b -p err and journalctl -b -p warning. Hugh time savings.
28 >
29 > I’m just so used to tail -f /var/log/messages, and it’s a hard fact of reality that switching
30 > to something new/else/different always takes personal effort.
31 >
32 >>> I was hoping I could have openrc and systemd in parallel on the system (so I don’t have to
33 >>> maintain two systems, especially on a slow netbook), but b/c I removed consolekit
34 >>> altogether, a lot of stuff doesn’t work anymore if I try booting with openrc.
35 >>>
36 >>> Perhaps someone can give me a hint about the following: - I’m missing openrc’s feature of
37 >>> using the menu key to switch between the last two TTYs, that’s very useful.
38 >>
39 >> I didn't realized it was gone.
40 >
41 > Well not in openrc, obviously. But it isn’t there in systemd.
42 >
43 >> However, I don't think is a feature of OpenRC, it's just that OpenRC calls agetty differently
44 >> from systemd, I suppose.
45 >
46 > I didn’t know where to look for that option specifically and thought it was openrc (because I
47 > can’t remember any other distro having this, like many other details such as a colourful promt
48 > by default).
49 >
50 >>> - No login prompt on TTY1.
51 >>
52 >> Sure it is. Perhaps is just garbled? Try to log in and do a reset.
53 >
54 > I have boot output on TTY1 and logins on TTY2-6., but not on one I tried various keys and
55 > conbinations such as Ctrl+C.
56 >
57 >>> - A resource link on how to set up networking without network manager. I always did it the
58 >>> conf.d/net way.
59 >>
60 >> You can set up the network without networkmanager just fine.
61 >
62 > I was obviously too lazy yesterday to research it. I poked blindly into the dark by trying the
63 > pre-existing wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd services without any custom configuration (with
64 > wpa_supplicant.conf being the only real requirement for my network setup), but wpa_supplicant
65 > always failed to authenticate, so I gave up for that night.
68 The various systemd units involved assume that you have KDM set up like Fedora does, with the
69 first graphical terminal (:0) on tty1, so kdm.service actually *conflicts* with getty@××××.service.
70
71 If you actually want to set up kdm to act in this manner, edit the file
72 /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and change the following options in the [General] section:
73 ServerVTs=1,-7
74 ConsoleTTYs=tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
75
76 If you don't want kdm.service to conflict with getty@××××.service, copy the file
77 /usr/lib/systemd/system/kdm.service to /etc/systemd/system/kdm.service, and remove the line:
78 Conflicts=getty@××××.service
79
80 - --
81 Jonathan Callen