From: Abraham Gyorgy <hangcsapda@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacing "eth0" with "wlan0"
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 16:15:46
1 Steve L. írta:
4 > On 3/7/07, *Abraham Gyorgy* <hangcsapda@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:hangcsapda@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > Hello again :)
8 >
9 > I've switched my networking from wired "eth0" to "wlan0". I'm using
10 > ndiswrapper with Win32 driver and an USB WiFi adapter. Everything is
11 > fine, but...
12 > When I set up my Gentoo installation, I've added net.eth0 to default
13 > runlevel (it provices the networking in the init system). My ethernet
14 > driver (forcedeth nvidia nforce2 chip) is compiled in, using DHCP.
15 > All I
16 > had to do is to add net.eth0.
17 > Now when my system boots it is waiting 1-2 mins for DHCP, then goes
18 > forward, but (in the init system) there is no networking, so Samba and
19 > other stuff doesnt work.
20 > I want to replace this thing,
21 >
22 > 1) ndiswrapper module should go to /etc/modules.autoload folder
23 > 2) then wlan0 device appears, I want to do "iwlist wlan0 scan", then
24 > DHCP for wlan0
25 > 3) all this stuff should go nice to init system, eth0 should be
26 > removed,
27 > so wlan0 should provide the init system with "net".
28 >
29 > Now I wait for eth0 dhcp'ing, then modprobe, iwlist, and dhcpcd by
30 > hand,
31 > but it is time consuming and not so nice.
32 > What to do exactly guys?
33 >
34 > Thanks a lot!
35 > --
36 > gentoo-user@g.o <mailto:gentoo-user@g.o> mailing list
39 > You could tie the net dependent services to the net.lo line, and
40 > afterwords bring up either net.eth0 or net.wlan0 manually (Remove them
41 > from the rc default). It's not pretty but it could work. The other
42 > consideration is to build your profile primairily for which net
43 > connection you intend to use the most (Wired/Wireless)
44 Thanks for answers guys, I'll return, hope I'll succeed.
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list