From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Intermittent USB device failures
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:24:24
1 > From: Volker Armin Hemmann [mailto:volkerarmin@××××××××××.com]
2 > Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:59 AM
3 >
4 > Am 22.08.2014 um 02:05 schrieb Mike Edenfield:
5 >
6 > > From: Volker Armin Hemmann [mailto:volkerarmin@××××××××××.com]
7 > > Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:41 PM
8 > >
9 > >> you said you used 6 different kernel versions - which one? Did you use
10 > >> vanilla or gentoo sources? And... maybe config?
11 > >
12 > > I've used all gentoo-sources so far, but I can give vanilla a try. According to
13 > > my portage logs, I've installed:
14 > >
15 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.17
16 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.6
17 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.7
18 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.12.8
19 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.13.1
20 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.13.2
21 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.14.1
22 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.14.5-r1
23 > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.16.0
24 > >
25 > > I think I may have skipped a couple of the minor revisions in there but
26 > that's about the right range of versions I've tried since I started.
27 > >
28 > Dumb question: are you really sure you booted the different kernels -
29 > and not just installing the kernel sources and maybe some make'ing
30
31 (Yeah, I'm confident that I booted these different versions; I installed and reconfigured grub and booted them as soon as I saw them in portage just in case they had fixed a bug I was hitting.)
32
33 > Also: if you have a problem that might be kernel related: always(!) try
34 > vanilla sources first. The bug might go away - and if it does not go
35 > away, you can go straight to lkml.
36
37 This actually seems to have helped. When I switched over to the vanilla sources, I was able to use the machine for a lot longer than usual before something bad happened, and the new problem seems unrelated to the mouse/keyboard. At least, the machine is locking up completely, not just the mouse or keyboard, which I guess is progress?
38
39 I'll probably be back later for help on that one.
40
41 --Mike