From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] After logging into a console. text flashes on the screen and returns to the login
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 15:10:39
1 Hi all,
2 I have an ARM device that I have Gentoo on. In the past I had it
3 successfully running and then one day I managed to "customise" something
4 and I could no longer get it to boot. At the time I though "I'll have to
5 fix that...". Today I'm trying.
6
7 The machine in question operates as a small server hence runs headless.
8 For the work at hand, I've attached it to the TV hence everything is in
9 text mode, no X.
10
11 When it boots, I'm presented with the login prompt. I enter "root", the
12 password & enter. The screen flashes, a frame by frame viewing of a
13 video of this shows that it's printing the last time I logged in and
14 then am represented with the login again. This just repeats. I though
15 that I had forgotten the root password hence accessed the disk via
16 another machine, reset things in the shadow file and rebooted. Once
17 again the screen flashed, with the same output, and I was presented with
18 the login prompt again.
19
20 Any thought on what could be going wrong here? I've ensured all the
21 files that should be owned by root are owned by root - I think. Logging
22 appears not to be working so I can't get much from that. I'm 99.99% sure
23 this is not an ARM specific problem as the machine was running perfectly
24 beforehand.
25
26 Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
27