From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:33:11
1 On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:13:11 +0900
2 <burlingk@×××××××××.mil> wrote:
6 > > -----Original Message-----
7 > > From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
8 > > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
9 > > Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:02 PM
10 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
11 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
14 > <snip>
15 >
16 > > > That would also let me make sure that I have an up to date
17 > > > portage tree, and just the files I need and maybe a few more. ^^;;
18 > > >
19 > > > Does that sound better, and less likely to piss off the
20 > > > mirrors? :P
21 > >
22 > > yes ;)
23 > >
24 > > but why not set 'parallel-fetch' in your make.conf? That way
25 > > portage should
26 > > download packages, while compiling?
27 > > --
28 >
29 > The next computer I build will likely be a dual core (an X2 most
30 > likely),
31 > so that may be an excellent option. :P
32 >
33 I don't think you'll need much processing power to parallel-fetch. I
34 do it on every computer with a fast enough internet connection. The
35 real limit is disk and network for downloading, not at all processor.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list