From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to configure a recent X11 ?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:13:51
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Helmut Jarausch
2 <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > one reads at several places that 'xorg.conf' is dead
6 > we now have to write hal-fdi-policy files.
7 >
8 > Especially after upgrading xorg-server X11 doesn't come up
9 > anymore since there is a "race condition" between hal and xorg.
10 >
11 > Does anybody know of a "transition guide" on how to
12 > write xorg.conf together with /etc/hal/fdi/policy files.
13 >
14 > Many thanks for pointer.
15 > (Currently X11 causes a lot of stress especially if one has to
16 > use the evdev driver)
17
18 Basically, if you want to use the "old" way (xorg.conf), do not emerge
19 evdev and do not use "hal" use flag in xorg-server. If you want to use
20 the "new" way, put evdev in your INPUT_DEVICES, put "hal" in USE flags
21 for xorg-server, make sure hald is emerged and running, make your user
22 part of plugdev group, make sure "Event interface" is enabled in your
23 kernel, and customize the FDI files in /etc/hal/policy/ (which contain
24 the same options as xorg.conf but formatted differently). There are
25 some sample FDI files in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/.
26
27 I think the xorg-server ebuild even converts some of these
28 automatically, I'm not sure...
29
30 Once it is all set, your xorg.conf will contain almost nothing. In my
31 case it only has the nvidia driver definition... but I don't even have
32 modelines or anything. It auto-detects my monitor capabilities. Of
33 course you can override it if you desire.
34
35 You can use the FDI files to set up your device-specific preferences
36 (like button mappings on a touchpad).
37
38 Ubuntu's wiki has some good info about input device configuration and
39 creating the FDI files.
40 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input
41
42 Good luck,