From: Chris Thomas <sruchris@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deny flash to a specific user?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:50:32
1 Squid with squidguard or dansguardian should filter out most of the 'bad stuff'.
2
3 -Chris
4
5 On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM, <emailjp79@×××.de> wrote:
7 >> Michael [19.Nov.2008 16:07]:
8 >>
9 >>> On 10:05 Wed 19 Nov , Qian Qiao wrote:
10 >>> ...
11 >>>>
12 >>>> In that case, isn't putting
13 >>>>
14 >>>> 127.0.0.1 ADDRESSES_TO_BE_BLOCKED
15 >>>>
16 >>>> into /etc/hosts easier?
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Or just set up a proxy.
19 >>>
20 >>> No, perhaps not, considering the fact that there are so many sites with
21 >>> pron. Maintaining such a massive hosts file is a disaster and worse still
22 >>> the solution is not fullproof. But then, FWIW such problems seldom have
23 >>> foolproof solutions.
24 >>
25 >> Well, at least there is "mvps" [1] with a nice host-file, blocking
26 >> mostly ads, banners etc., which I use myself without much trouble.
27 >> While searching for a list of porn-sites to add to that list, I stumbled
28 >> upon BadHosts [2], which includes several hosts-files, one of them
29 >> entirely for porn-sites.
30 >>
31 >> The sites listed there might get you started, but as noted by Qian Qiao
32 >> before, that list will never be complete or up-to-date. Besides, using
33 >> an anonymizer to reach one of those sites will get you there anyway. You
34 >> would have to block those, too.
35 >>
36 >> My opinion: If children are to be "protected" from that kind of content,
37 >> seting up a public computer in a livingroom might be a better way (in
38 >> conjunction with a host-file maybe for those nasty ads). But as soon as
39 >> one starts blocking sites, the question will be where to stop.
42 >> JP
43 >
44 > Thanks to all that have answered. I appreciate the responses greatly.
45 >
46 > Indeed the question was based around what to do with a kid that's not
47 > using his computer time appropriately. It has nothing to do with
48 > 'protecting' him via censoring or anything like that. It was more a
49 > matter of should he be playing Flash games or playing online videos of
50 > Star Craft games when he has homework to be doing. After thinking
51 > about it the decision in the end was to do nothing technical. Nothing
52 > technical is going to fix this problem other than him growing up a
53 > bit.
54 >
55 > Thanks again,
56 > Mark