From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 23:15:59
1 On 24/12/19 22:23, Dale wrote:
2 > Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 24/12/19 20:33, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I think it is indexing/caching/something that requires it to look at
5 >>> every single file in there plus all the levels below it. If so, that
6 >>> would be a huge task. Here is some info on that but I did post it a bit
7 >>> ago. It was sort of nested in one of the posts.
8 >> Exactly. The thing about what this developer noticed is that it is the
9 >> READING THE FILES that kills the system performance. The indexing is
10 >> just random noise.
11 >>
12 >> So once this fix gets into the system it won't matter that it's indexing
13 >> - the indexing will stall waiting for the files to be read, and reading
14 >> the files won't kill the system.
15 >>
16 >> What seems to be happening at the moment is that as plasma reads the
17 >> files, linux is paging plasma out to make way for the files, then it has
18 >> to drop old cache to page plasma back in, and it's just got stuck in
19 >> treacle trying to "in out in out shake it all about" :-)
20 >>
21 >> Cheers,
22 >> Wol
26 > I suspect the dev that did this, has very few wallpapers or doesn't use
27 > the feature at all and just has one pic he changes manually from time to
28 > time. lol
29
30 Apologies, but did you bother to read what I wrote? The fault has
31 ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Plasma or KDE.
32
33 I'm inclined to agree that KDE should try and work round bugs, but the
34 real fault lies in the Linux kernel.
35
36 I'm a kernel dev wannabe, and following what's going on can be VERY
37 enlightening - this is a design fault, and I'm sure there are plenty
38 more ... :-) it can be VERY frustrating as an app developer to find that
39 what *should* be nice and simple is made horribly frustrating by stupid
40 faults in the layer below.
41
42 If you think about it logically, you would EXPECT that the effort of
43 indexing a file would be substantially less than that of reading it,
44 wouldn't you? So why would you expect reading a bunch of files and
45 indexing them would peg *cpu* use at 100%? Surely it's going to peg disk
46 i/o at 100%?
47 >
48 > Maybe later on it will be fixed. It only took a couple years for them
49 > to add anything non-random anyway. For ages, it was random and nothing
50 > else. I just don't have the energy right now to add several thousand
51 > directories to the dialog one at a time. o_O
52 >
53 > At least we figured out what the problem is. That's a start I guess. ;-)
54 >
55 Well, the fix should hopefully be in the next kernel release. It then
56 needs Plasma to take advantage of it, which shouldn't be long ...
57
58 Cheers,
59 Wol