From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Rebuilding an NTFS directory structure
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:02:15
1 On Saturday 09 January 2010 19:57:15 walt wrote:
2 > On 01/09/2010 03:48 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > Someone not far from here has yanked his USB disk out of his computer
6 > > once too often, without unmounting it, and now the whole disk is shown as
7 > > off-line and inaccessible by his WinXP system. I'm trying to recover his
8 > > data for him, which is mostly music files.
9 > >
10 > > Does anyone here know of a tool that can rebuild an NTFS directory
11 > > structure?
12 >
13 > USB sticks are normally formatted with a FAT filesystem. Are you sure his
14 > is NTFS instead?
15
16 I thought that the OP mentioned an external USB drive, rather than a CF stick.
17 Either way, one more thing that came to mind:
18
19 if the drive is partitioned, what may have been corrupted besides the files
20 being written at the time it was disconnected from the OS, could be the
21 partition boot record. In this case running fixboot with a WinXP installation
22 CD would restore the partition record and you will be able to access it and
23 run chkdisk with the MSWindows OS.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick