From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:09:06
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 06:49:09 +0000 (UTC), Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> nvidia legacy drivers?
5 >> In the latter case you are doomed...
6 >> I also had to throw out recently an nvidia card because of this.
7 >
8 > Was nouveau not an option.
9
10 No. It seems, nouvau is lost without support from nvidia:
11
12 Despite the "matrix" on nouveau claims since many years
13 that the card be "fully" supported, it practically never got
14 over crashes. The actual progress over several years was from
15 1. immediate kernel panic during booting, over
16 2. booting but not running X, to
17 3. running X but displaying only gray, to
18 4. running X but halting the machine (or at least X) with
19 a chance of ~30% when doing daring things like opening a window
20 or writing text in a window. Latest versions before I dumped
21 the card got me back to
22 5. Start over with 1.
23
24 On another machine (with a newer graphics card), DPMS state is
25 not kept for longer than a few seconds, and despite I reported
26 the issue and had a lot of work testing with patched kernels,
27 it apparently could not be fixed; it is still not working.
28
29 Of course, things like googleearth etc. do not work at all
30 (well, after a few minutes the first picture of the rotating
31 earth was finally finished, and the next picture started to
32 be drawn... new versions of googleearth crash now immediately.)
33
34 My experience: Completely unusable for both cards, even if I am
35 willing to make a lot of compromise.