From: Marcel Romijn <MRomijn@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Boot stalls after install of 2005.1
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:37:55
1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2
3 > From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
4 > Sent: Tue 8/23/2005 5:18 PM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o <mailto:gentoo-user@l.g.o>
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot stalls after install of 2005.1
7 >
8 > Marcel Romijn schreef:
11 > > I assumed that even though the kernel has framebuffer support built in,
12 > > it won't use it if it is not configured as kernel parameter in
13 > > grub.conf.
14 > > Maybe that was a wrong assumption?
15 >
16 > Yes, it was. The settings in grub.conf are supposed to override the
17 > kernel settings. But if the framebuffer is set in the kernel, naturally
18 > the kernel is going to start the framebuffer. It is, after all, the
19 > kernel, and the kernel is king of the hill.
20 >
21 > If you don't want a framebuffer, remove framebuffer support from your
22 > kernel config.
23
24 Hmmm..., I just followed the installation handbook. Plain, unmodified kernel configuration, which has framebuffer support enabled.
25 At the chapter of configuring grub, it mentiones that using the framebuffer was optional.
26 <quote>
27 If you have configured your kernel with framebuffer support (or you used genkernel's default kernel configuration), you can activate it by adding a vga and/or a video statement to your bootloader configuration file.
28 </quote>
29
30 I tried some kernel parameters in grub.conf:
31
32 video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85
33 Still stalls.
34
35 video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@60
36 Because I read in a mailing list about vesafb not being able to switch refresh rates (might have been an old mailing list)
37 Still stalls.
38
39 video=vesafb-tng:1024x768-32@60
40 Removed the mtrr and ywarp in case they were not supported.
41 Still stalls.
42
43 video=vesafb:1024x768-32@60
44 In case 'vesafb-tng' is not supported but 'vesafb' is.
45 Still stalls, but messes up the remaining text on the screen.
46
47 In the mean time, I have done the same install in VMware.
48 That install boots (succesfully!) with the "video=vesafb-tng:mtrr,ywrap,1024x768-32@85" setting!! (Although in 640x480, but that's caused by VMware).
49
50 So my conclusion is that there is something with my hardware configuration.
51 I'm using a VIA Epia ME6000 Mini ITX board.
52
53 I had Gentoo 2005.0 running on this board, so maybe something changed in this area between 2005.0 and 2005.1?
54
55 When I boot this board with the Gentoo 2005.1 LiveCD, it seems to use the framebuffer.
56 The isolinux.cfg mentions "vga=791", but that doesn't seem to solve my problem as well.
59 > Unless there's a setting in grub.conf to disable the
60 > previously-initialized framebuffer. If there was, you could use that,
61 > but I don't even know if such a setting exists, and seems like extra
62 > work in any case (enabling the framebuffer just to disable it with an
63 > override that may or may not work).
64
65 -nofb , as suggested by Michael Kintzios, did not help.
68 > Hope this helps,
69 > Holly
70 > --
71 > gentoo-user@g.o <mailto:gentoo-user@g.o> mailing list