From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to build a static application binary?
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 23:13:49
1 On 2010-12-03, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > What you are seeing is a lot of glibc routines being included by the
4 > linkage editor. These handle all sorts of conditions that will
5 > likely never occur in your program.
6 >
7 > Try using a smaller C library, like uclibc or klibc. They might not
8 > work as well, but they will give you a smaller executable.
9 >
10 > Alternatively, try rewriting your code in assembler.
11
12 For various reasons (which I doubt anybody cares about), gritting my
13 teeth and living with the 520K per application looks like a more
14 practical solution that either using assembler or a different libc.
15
16 In practice, I'm sure nobody but me will ever even notice (or care
17 even if they did notice) the wasted 2MB on a 25MB liveCD. But it will
18 still bug me. :/
21 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! SHHHH!! I hear SIX
22 at TATTOOED TRUCK-DRIVERS
23 gmail.com tossing ENGINE BLOCKS into
24 empty OIL DRUMS ...