From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nice level for X11
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 20:19:30
1 On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Abraham Gyorgy wrote:
3 > > Hello guys, in which configuration file can I set a nice level for
4 > > X11? (this makes all graphical software run much faster, at least
5 > > when I used Debian).
6 >
7 > Nice factor for X makes graphical software run fater? I don't thinl
8 > so. Not at all.
9
10 Linus agrees with you. Linus is usually right.
11
12 There was a long drawn out thread on lkml a while back about this in
13 regard to process schedulers and this dodge/hack kept coming up. Linus'
14 point was that it does very little, upsets the kernel's view of how to
15 schedule jobs and he had numbers to back it up. Most interesting was
16 his assertion that niceness usually has very little effect on Linux
17 anyway - most differences noted are placebo effects - and niceness
18 comes from the days 30 years ago when Unix kernels were not smart about
19 scheduling. And niceness was only ever a kernel hint anyway.
20
21 I haven't seen any patches that might affect this since so I reckon it
22 still produces precious little effect.
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list