From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:46:15
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [12-04-08 18:40]:
2 > On Sunday 08 Apr 2012 16:56:23 David W Noon wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 17:26:03 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote about
4 > >
5 > > [gentoo-user] Extended file attributes: ext4:
6 > > > is it possible to go from an ext4-filesystem with no extended file
7 > > > attributes to one with extended file attributes without reformatting
8 > > > the disk or other very risky low level things just by adding this
9 > > > feature to the kenrel (?) ?
10 > >
11 > > Yes, it's simple.
12 > >
13 > > You need to ensure that your kernel configuration has the extended
14 > > attribute support (ACL is a good idea too) and you have booted with the
15 > > ext4 driver so configured.
16 > >
17 > > You then add the xattr option in /etc/fstab for the filesystem(s) where
18 > > you want extended attribute support. If you do that before you reboot
19 > > (as above) then you will have full extended attribute support.
20 >
21 > I thought that you are meant to pass such options on the CLI at the time you
22 > are formatting the partition ... is this incorrect?
23 >
24 > Of course if you must format the drive with such options then the data won't
25 > survive.
26 > --
27 > Regards,
28 > Mick
31 Hi,
32
33 thank you very much for all the input.
34
35 To clearify things a little:
36
37 Status quo: System with ext4 and no extended attributes.
38 Where I want to be: The same system with extended attributes.
39
40 Way to go: No reformatting and mkfs and all that things. Only kernel
41 reconfiguring / recompiling / rebooting and emerging some tools.
42
43 Possible?
44
45 Best regards,