From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unix philosophy question for old farts: the original purpose for /tmp ?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 00:44:44
1 > I confess I've never thought much about why /tmp exists, but today I was
2 > inconvenienced when an end-user utility (uudeview) ran out of space on /tmp
3 > while doing an ordinary end-user task processing very large end-user files.
4 >
5 > Why is an end-user program using a "system" directory like /tmp in the first
6 > place?
7 >
8 > I suspect that the need for /tmp is now gone, but I'm prepared to be wrong
9 > :)
10
11 Because /home may be on a NFS mount, with slow access and a disk usage quota.
12 :)
15 Andreas K. Huettel
16 Gentoo Linux developer
17 kde, council