From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resizing ntfs creates a hidden partition
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:15:41
1 On Saturday 20 February 2010 13:59:38 Stefan Schulte wrote:
2 > Hi Mick,
3 >
4 > AFAIK the asterisk behind the partition just indicates, that it is not
5 > aligned to a cylinder boundary. I think this doesnt have any effect (or
6 > maybe some old OS like DOS depend on it). If you use cfdisk for
7 > partitioning you can avoid that by given the space in c(ylinders). e.g.
8 > New Partition with a size of '100c'.
9 >
10 > I guess your hidden partition has something to do with Windows
11 > behaviour, because if you install Windows and create partitions during
12 > the installation process, it also creates an extra 8MB partition.
13 > Maybe gparted adopted that behaviour.
14 >
15 > But I can't tell you the reason why. Some people say it's for temp data
16 > (which I doubt) and others say it's used to store metadatas if the user
17 > decides to use flexible disks or software RAIDs.
18 >
19 > I just can say that windows is running fine without it on my computer,
20 > because i decided to partition with cfdisk before running the
21 > installation.
22
23 Thank you both for your responses. I failed to notice that gparted now has a
24 handy 'align on cylinder' tick box. That's what I think shifts partitions
25 along until there is alignment with the cylinder boundary.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick