From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new sys-apps/hal-0.5.11: changing keyboard layout
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:35:44
1 Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > So what's the answer? How do i do it properly? How do i tell xorg-x11 to
3 > use "de" layout for all hot-plugged keyboards?
4 > Because gdm offers no keyboard-settings, as far as i know. And since my
5 > keyboard is "qwertz", i see a "y" when typing a "z" in gdm. gnome
6 > settings kick in AFTER logging in - so that's pretty useless for gdm.
7
8 In xorg.conf, try this:
9
10 Section "InputDevice"
11 Identifier "Keyboard1"
12 Driver "evdev"
13 Option "AutoRepeat" "250 30"
14 Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
15 Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
16 Option "XkbLayout" "de"
17 EndSection
18
19 Make sure the keyboard is used in the "ServerLayout" section:
20
21 Section "ServerLayout"
22 # ...
23 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
24 EndSection
25
26 For a Gnome panel you may have to emerge some package. At least for
27 KDE, the "Keyboard Layouts" entry in KDE's control panel was missing
28 until I emerged kxkb. If you get the Gnome config panel to work, you
29 must select "evdev device" or similar, not "pc104". If you don't need
30 to switch between layouts (DE to US and back), you don't need the Gnome
31 panel at all. The entry in xorg.conf is enough.