From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I can RTFM, but can I understand it: re elog messages
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:10:30
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:38 on Friday 20 August 2010, Peter Humphrey
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Thursday 19 August 2010 21:21:20 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 > > So I looked up "auto-hinter" in the flagedit(1) program. It says:
6 > > auto-hinter: Local Flag: Use the unpatented auto-hinter instead
7 > > of the (recommended) TrueType bytecode interpreter (media-
8 > > libs/freetype)
9 > >
10 > > The placement of the "(recommended)" is just a bit ambiguous.
11 >
12 > No, it isn't. You may be being confused by the unnecessary inclusion of
13 > brackets (parentheses if you're American); remove them and you see that
14 > the TrueType byte-code interpreter is recommended. Or, just consider the
15 > phrase "the recommended TrueType bytecode interpreter", with or without
16 > brackets. I can't see how that could be thought ambiguous.
19 The parenthesis is actually correct as the recommendation is just an aside
20 comment in this context. The sentence expands to:
21
22 instead of the TrueType bytecode interpreter (TrueType is the recommended
23 interpreter to use btw)
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com