From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: mount so that other users can write to mounted dir?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 03:04:31
1 On Tue, 22 May 2012 20:26:03 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not really a fan of automount, but I understand that lots of
5 > people are. I'm trying to get it fully functional under mdev, and
6 > then do a write-up on the wiki page. A Google search turns up lots of
7 > examples of code. However, the examples are for embedded devices, and
8 > they assume the only user is root. I've got the automounting and
9 > autounmounting working. Everybody can read the mounted USB stick, but
10 > only root can write. I've tried pmount with the umask option, but it
11 > doesn't help. Assume the scrpt gets passed MDEV="sdb1"
12 >
13 > #
14 > # Create the directory in /media
15 > mkdir -p /media/${MDEV}
16 > #
17 > # Change permissions to allow read+write by all
18 > chmod 777 /media/${MDEV}
19 > #
20 > # Mount the directory in /media
21 > pmount --noatime --umask 000 /dev/${MDEV}
22 >
23 > But after the mount...
24 > user2@aa1 /media $ ll
25 > total 3
26 > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 May 22 19:02 .
27 > drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 1024 May 21 20:41 ..
28 > drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 1024 May 16 01:42 sdb1
29 >
30 > Every directory and file belongs to user:group root:root. On the
31 > USB stick all directories are 755 and files are 744. As a
32 > heavy-handed ugly hack, I could...
33 >
34 > chgrp -R users /media/${MDEV}
35 > chmod -R g+w /media/${MDEV}
36 >
37 > to a USB stick. I obviously don't wnt to do that on the external USB
38 > drive that I rsync my system to every few weeks. Any ideas? And oh
39 > yes, I do realize I'm trying to re-invent the wheel. The old one has
40 > a broken udev :(
43 What filesystem is on that stick?
44
45 For vfat and ntfs what you are truing should work.
46 For Unix file systems (ext*, reiser, etc), it will not work. You cannot
47 override owners and permissions with the mount command on those.
53 Alan McKinnnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com