From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] net-tools vs iproute2
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:37:43
Hi there,

Could I possibly draw on the combined wisdom of the list to explain to
me the difference between net-tools & iproute2, please?

I have always used ifconfig for checking a computer's IP addresses.
And, less frequently (since one normally sets such parameters in /etc/
conf.d/net or wherever) for setting up network interfaces.

I have this idea that I read a while back that ifconfig is old-fangled
&/or depreciated and that there's a more modern tool for the job.

/etc/conf.d/net.example seems to support this:

# INTERFACE HANDLERS
#
# We provide two interface handlers presently: ifconfig and iproute2.
# You need one of these to do any kind of network configuration.
# For ifconfig support, emerge sys-apps/net-tools
# For iproute2 support, emerge sys-apps/iproute2

# If you don't specify an interface then we prefer iproute2 if it's
installed
# To prefer ifconfig over iproute2
#modules=( "ifconfig" )

So am I right in this understanding?
Does iproute2 equal ifconfig-TNG?

I'm looking right now at an iptables application where iproute2 is
specified. It's been so long since I used ifconfig for any heavy
lifting that I've forgotten all its syntax. But I do plan on setting
up a bridge or firewalling router soon.

So should I just forget about ifconfig & learn iproute2?

Does anyone have any hints or a cheatsheet of most-common commands
that I should know before getting my feet wet?

TIA,

Stroller.