From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make -j <n> for kernel builds?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 22:28:04
1 On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:06:07 -0400,
2 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > On 31/10/2016 23:57, John Covici wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 13:37:50 -0400,
6 > > Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [16-10-31 18:36]:
9 > >>> Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
10 > >>>> Hi,
11 > >>>>
12 > >>>> from ancient times ;) I remember, that it is not advisable
13 > >>>> to compile a linux kernel with more than one cpu core.
14 > >>>>
15 > >>>> Is that still true, or is it save to compile it with
16 > >>>> "all you can eat" ::)) ?
17 > >>>>
18 > >>>> Cheers
19 > >>>> Meino
20 > >>>>
21 > >>>>
22 > >>>
23 > >>> While I don't upgrade my kernel very often, since I don't reboot often
24 > >>> either, I've used -j 6 for my 4 core CPU for a long time. I'm pretty
25 > >>> sure I've done that ever since I built this rig. So far, no problems
26 > >>> that I have seen.
27 > >>>
28 > >>> Dale
29 > >>>
30 > >>> :-) :-)
31 > >>>
32 > >>
33 > >> Great! Currently rebuilding the kernel with '-j7 ' :)
34 > >
35 > > I wonder, how does it make sure that a dependency is always compiled
36 > > before what depends on it, so the link and all that works?
39 > The kernel is special - it's a completely self-contained body of code
40 > with no external dependencies, so it is internally consistency almost as
41 > a matter of course.
42 >
43 > As for compiling the right things in the right order, the Makefiles take
44 > care of that just like all other software with a build system. How does
45 > the Makefile get made? Well, when you do make <something>config, you see
46 > all those deps like how iwlwifi depends on 80211 which depends on
47 > networking etc. That tells you the order things must be built in. Shove
48 > that into a Makefile maker, and voila, Bob's your auntie. Build issues
49 > tends to get fixed during the dev period so when Linux releases a kernel
50 > there's an excellent chance it will build correctly.
51 >
52 > FWIW, none of this is a specially difficult problem. It's the kind of
53 > thing I'd expect bright CS students to be able to do at the end of the
54 > first year
55
56 OK, I will maybe try something, but I have had gentoo problems only
57 solved by -j1 due to such things, I guess.
60 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
61 How do
62 you spend it?
63
64 John Covici