From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] ISP extortion [ Partially Resolved ]
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 00:07:06
1 Thanks for all the responses.
2 ------
3
4 AirVPN seems to solve a most if not all of the filtering / blocking
5 issues. ( Don't try their pre-built client / PATHs are wrong. )
6 ------
7
8 "emerge-webrsync" was setup with GPG signature checking.
9
10 What the ISP is doing looks to be ?attaching? / ?embeding? a "process",
11 that attempts to execute on my machine. What it did was corrupt
12 ebuilds/metadata/hashes while syncing the local tree.
13
14 This command would crash, no error, no output, every single time :
15 "emerge -pv --update --newuse --tree --deep --with-bdeps=y @world"
16
17 They obviously didn't achieve what they wanted. From then on, the HTTP
18 request made by "emerge-webrsync" was blocked one way. My Gentoo box was
19 able to talk AT Gentoo's webrsync servers. Didn't receive anything back
20 from the servers. ( all packets dropped? )
21
22 ------
23
24 Converted to "rsync" for using "emerge --sync" instead.
25
26 "emerge --sync" complained about having to "clean up the mess" after the
27 VPN was running. The "clean up" seems to have succeeded.
28
29 ------
30
31 Will act on the ( lawyer, deposit ) suggestions. And a new e-mail provider.
32
33 This may sound screwy ... with the VPN, the web browser and web sites
34 are working/responding so much better.
35
36 Corbin