From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:44:58
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 11:04 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > When I bought my current TV, I avoided the smart ones. At the time, it
5 > was new technology and people were talking about how buggy it was so I
6 > bought a regular TV. If I had to buy one today, I'd buy a smart one.
7 > They seem to work pretty well now. Nice and stable at least. Still, I
8 > check to make sure whatever I buy is based on Linux as its OS. One can
9 > usually check the manual and see the copyright notice in the last few
10 > pages. It mentions the kernel. If it mentions windoze, I move on. LQ
11 > is almost always Linux based.
12 >
13 > I'm at the point where I know I need to do this. It's just getting
14 > there. I even thought about putting the OS on a USB stick. After all,
15 > once booted, it won't access the stick very often. I could even load it
16 > into memory at boot up and it not even need the stick at all once
17 > booted. Like is done with some Gentoo install media.
18 >
19 > One of these days.
20
21 Fair enough.
22
23 You might also investigate whether a newer Roku/AppleTV type
24 machine will access a network share. I suspect they will.
25
26 TrueNAS will run from a USB stick. You'll need two - one for
27 the setup media and a second to install it to, but after that you
28 only need storage drives to hold your backups or media.
29
30 I think a NAS for backups and media playback makes sense.
31 You want the machine on most of the time, but if you shut it
32 down it won't generally stop you from using your main computer.
33
34 On the other hand, with NVMe drives in my new machine I
35 have no spinning media so I use the NAS as a network store
36 much as you envision watching movies on your TV, but for me
37 it's mostly astrophotography data.
38
39 Have fun. Happy Easter if you celebrate it. Happy Sunday if
40 you don't.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Mark