From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:07:16
1 On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Nils Larsson <ni1s@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 20 June 2011 08:25:57 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>    Is split an appropriate program to use to break a single 10GB file
5 >> into 100 100MB files to transfer over the net using rsync, and then
6 >> use cat to reassemble?
7 >>
8 >>    Is there some better way to do this?
9 >
10 > Maybe not better, but you could use a torrent application that support magnet
11 > links to send files across the net. No need to send chop it up in chunks then.
12
13 Interesting idea. I'll keep in in mind.
14
15 I've already tested that chopping the file with split and reassembling
16 it locally on another machine works. One advantage to chopping it up
17 is that because I have two ISPs in my house I can send half over each
18 ISP and speed things up considerably. The transfer to the remote
19 machine is now in progress and I've transferred about 20 of the 402
20 files I need to send so things are progressing splendidly at this
21 time.
22
23 I loaded unison on one of my local machines and will play with that.
24 Maybe I'll add some form of bittorrent into the mix also.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Mark