From: Sascha Lucas <sascha.lucas@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server Mirroring...
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:43:01
1 Hi Mal,
2
3 > I run a Apache2 webserver and Postfix as per the virtual mailhost
4 > guide...
5 >
6 > For resilience I would like to have two gentoo boxes doing these tasks
7 > for load balancing / redundancy - how can this be achieved? Is there a
8 > tool that will allow replication of the config files / mysql stuff to
9 > allow the boxes to basically be a cluster ?
10
11 Thats not so easy to answer. Different solutions exists, each with pros
12 and cons. It also depends heavily on the professional grad your solution
13 should be.
14
15 You can solve this at different Levels: Hardware, OS, application.
16 Hardware is expensive. OS far from perfect (i.e. openssi, openmosix).
17 Applications must be cluster aware, moast aren't.
18
19 Do you mean http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml? If so you
20 have to manage a bunch of apps: postfix, mysql, cyrus, apache.
21
22 Just some keywords:
23
24 easy with postfix: DNS round robin (solution inside DNS Server, nearly
25 all MTAs are aware of this)
26
27 mysql: not "multi master" ready, just redundancy "master->slave", try
28 postgres
29
30 apache: behaves in sens of "read only" -> LVS
31
32 cyrus: moast difficult part (shared storage/CFS,???) ->
33 NAS|SAN+CFS+LVS+?dono?
34
35 Cluster/HA is a complex area. Perhaps you want a simple not so perfect
36 solotion? Try periodicaly rsynced standby with manual switch over.
37
38 Sascha.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list