From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dirty COW bug
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 18:02:13
1 On Friday 21 Oct 2016 13:39:54 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
3 >
4 > <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Andy Mender <andymenderunix@×××××.com>
6 wrote:
7 > >> Would a Gentoo .config work with the upstream "vanilla" 4.4.26 kernel?
8 > >> I know Gentoo does some patching to the upstream sources and menuconfig
9 > >> has
10 > >>
11 > >> additional features thereby.
12 > >
13 > > Running 'make oldconfig' within the sources directory by default uses
14 > > whatever config-x.y.z is the highest version available in /boot.
15 > > Otherwise, copying the config file desired to the sources directory
16 > > followed by running 'make oldconfig' will generate a new one based on
17 > > the config file copied.
18 > > You could than run the diff on the gentoo config file and the vanilla
19 > > one and take it from there.
20 >
21 > Correct. I'm pretty confident (having done this a bunch of times)
22 > that it is just going to drop any config items it doesn't recognize
23 > including the Gentoo ones (removal of config items is normal anyway).
24 > Since the Gentoo ones just pull in other pre-reqs, and the way the
25 > config file works is that the pre-reqs also get written into the
26 > config file, you'll still have all the settings that actually matter.
27 > For example, systemd support probably turns on multiple pts support,
28 > and even if you get rid of the gentoo systemd option the multiple pts
29 > support option will remain selected.
30 >
31 > So, if you're staying in the same kernel series (4.4) you should just
32 > be able to run make oldconfig and that's it. You can take a look but
33 > I'd be shocked if you're either prompted for any new settings or if
34 > anything doesn't work exactly as before. You might just be missing a
35 > random patch or two (gentoo-sources doesn't have that many of them).
36 >
37 > Going between kernel series is going to be the same as always, you'll
38 > be asked a dozen questions for new options.
39 >
40 > Now, the one thing you'll lose without the Gentoo options is that if
41 > an openrc/systemd/udev/whatever requirement changes it won't just
42 > automatically get pulled in. You'll need to find out about it and
43 > manually update your config. Honestly, I think that option wouldn't
44 > be a bad one to merge upstream, though it obviously does cross the
45 > userspace/kernelspace boundary. Also, having end-users manipulate
46 > kernel config options is something very few distros do these days, I'm
47 > not sure if any of the well-known distros encourage it.
48
49 I haven't looked into exploits for this. At a practical level, what will it
50 take to compromise a PC?
53 Regards,
54 Mick