From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Advice for 64-bit n00b?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:29:14
1 Hi there,
2
3 A new (to me) server has 64-bit CPUs. By my standards this is a REALLY
4 NICE high specification machine (I appears to be 2 x dual-core), but
5 in fact it's about 3 years old & is one of the earliest Intel Xeons
6 that supports 64-bits / AMD64 / EMT64. I think it is 64-bit Pentium 4,
7 rather than Core 2 architecture.
8
9 # cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -n 25
10 processor : 0
11 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
12 cpu family : 15
13 model : 4
14 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
15 stepping : 3
16 cpu MHz : 2992.346
17 cache size : 2048 KB
18 physical id : 0
19 siblings : 2
20 core id : 0
21 cpu cores : 1
22 apicid : 0
23 initial apicid : 0
24 fpu : yes
25 fpu_exception : yes
26 cpuid level : 5
27 wp : yes
28 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
29 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
30 syscall nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid cx16
31 xtpr
32 bogomips : 5984.69
33 clflush size : 64
34 cache_alignment : 128
35 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
36 power management:
39 I'm a bit confused by the 36-bit address size mentioned there, but I
40 assume this is OK. The Gentoo wiki seems to confirm this CPU is 64-
41 bit: http://tinyurl.com/klv7gc [1]
42
43 Is there anything I need to know about working with 64-bits / AMD64 /
44 EMT64, seeing as I've never done so before?
45
46 I have started following the Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook, because the
47 Quick Install Guide is described as "x86". Having untarred the stage I
48 am surprised to find a lib32 directory. I thought compatibility with
49 32-bit binaries was optional. Or am I misunderstanding? This is going
50 to be a headless server & I can't think that it'll need any binary
51 packages - possibly the management utility for the RAID controller
52 will be distributed as a binary, I'm not sure yet (the hardware RAID
53 key was missing when I got this machine ☹)
54
55 I'm editing my make.conf and looked at the Gentoo wiki for "Safe
56 Cflags" - it says 'CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"'. But of course
57 (according to make.conf.example) one shouldn't change CHOST on an
58 installed system. Will the files in the stage 3 have been compiled
59 using this CHOST?
60
61 Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated - I'm wondering if
62 there's anything you guys all take for granted that I could mess up if
63 I don't allow for it early enough in the installation process.
64
65 Thanks in advance for any comments,
66
67 Stroller.