From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:41:34
1 On 29/01/2014 17:35, James wrote:
2 > Thanasis <thanasis <at> asyr.hopto.org> writes:
5 >> No, because as I said in a previous post, the matter is that when a
6 >> newer version 3.10.X is in the tree, and you do an update of the world
7 >> set, the newer kernel source of the 3.10.X series won't appear as an update.
8 >> You'll have to emerge it again "manually" and likewise "manually"
9 >> unmerge the older one.
12 > Manual control/determination of kernels may appear overtly
13 > clumsy, but it is far better to expend a bit of extra time, manually,
14 > than in panic mode; which is why I think you see a lack
15 > of feature rich granularity in gentoo related to kernels, imho.
18 Plus, the target market for Gentoo is folks who know how kernels work,
19 know what they want and know how to enable it without hand-holding.
20
21 If the target market doesn't know how to do this, they almost always
22 have the skills *and desire* to learn it, and usually do so very rapidly.
23
24 Add it all up with what you said and you get a complete explanation for
25 why gentoo-sources works like it does.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com