From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:44:23
1 On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 24 Jan 2016 11:40:04 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > So the user is safe if I send all internet requests from her remote
5 >> > laptop through the Zerotier connection (instead of only sending
6 >> > requests to my server through Zerotier)?
7 >>
8 >> It depends on what you mean by "safe." If you mean that there is no
9 >> possibility of malware stealing or messing with your data this is the
10 >> case if:
11 >>
12 >> As long as:
13 >> 1. You ensure that no malware enters through zerotier.
14 >> 2. No malware is present before you set up zerotier.
15 >> 3. No network connections are ever used other than zerotier.
16 >>
17 >> If you mean safe to mean that nothing bad happens to the user's system
18 >> that wouldn't have happened if they use their own internet connect,
19 >> there is no real harm in using yours, assuming you don't leak your own
20 >> malware onto their system.
21 >
22 > As Rich alludes to if through Zerotier the user can only connect to your
23 > webserver and no connections of the user are forwarded (through your Zerotier-
24 > LAN, or your webserver) to the Internet, the XSS kind of threats will be
25 > contained.
26 >
27 > However, as I understand it the Zerotier provides a split tunnel arrangement.
28 > The user will be able to use their browser to connect through Zerotier to your
29 > LAN, while through another window on the same browser they will be able to
30 > connect to the Internet using their own network.
31
32 That, and after they disconnect from zerotier the malware that has
33 been logging everything can go ahead and phone home to report in
34 without going through whatever protections you'd have on your own
35 network for outbound connections.
38 Rich