From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:40:38
1 On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:40:15 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2
3 > > If it's diskless, where are /tmp and /var/tmp mounted? If they use
4 > > tmpfs the "memory" usage is understandable. If they use NFS the
5 > > emerges must be unbearably slow.
6
7 > For normal usage, they are in tmpfs along with portage but I mount them
8 > over nfs for larger packages as memory is too constrained (just comment
9 > out the lines in fstab) - most packages take much less than a hundred mb
10 > or so for the storage unless its glibc or the like. After a reboot they
11 > are using no space (of course) and it just takes a sync to replace
12 > portage and I use http-replicator on the network so distfiles are not a
13 > problem.
14
15 So root is on another (more powerful?) machine and mounted over NFS? Why
16 not chroot into the root on the host machine and run the emerge there?
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Last words of a Windows user: = Why does that work now?