From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing python packages for different versions
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:44:54
1 Hi!
2
3 This is actually a follow-up for my thread "Trouble installing Plone".
4
5 Following scenario: I have packages which run on python-2.4 and other
6 packages which work with 2.5. Zope is a prominent example of the 2.4 gang.
7
8 The problem: When I emerge a python package, for example
9 dev-python/imaging, it is only installed in the
10 /usr/lib/python-2.*/site-packages directory of the python version which
11 is currently enabled by eselect.
12
13 Naturally, this is the most recent version: 2.5. However, as soon as a
14 python-2.4 package depends on one of these other packages, it just
15 doesn't work because it expects them in /usr/lib/python-2.4/site-packages.
16
17 How am I supposed to work around this?
18
19 My current workaround is to switch temporarily to python-2.4 and
20 re-emerge the necessary packages. However, this only works as long as
21 there are either 2.4-packages which depend on these re-emerged ones or
22 2.5-packages because portage purges the corresponding byte code in the
23 now disabled python directory.
24
25 Regards,
26