From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 21:07:05
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > >> That's a question of packaging and bundling, which is not covered by the
4 > >> GPL. But kernel code and kernel modules are not mere bundles, they are
5 > >> derivative works by virtue of how tightly they integrate with the
6 > >> kernel, and how the code can only ever run unchanged on Linux.
7 > >
8 > > If a kernel uses ZFS, you have to decide on whether the kernel is a derivative
9 > > work of ZFS or whether just a collective work exists.
10 > >
11 > > _Using_ ZFS definitely does not make ZFS a derivative work.
12 >
13 > I never said it did. I was concentrating on those parts of ZFS that
14 > interact with kernel internals - that might not be been entirely clear
15
16 You wrote that modules become derivatives of the Linux kernel and this is the
17 same as writing ZFS would become a kernel derivative.
18
19 The linux kernel does not come with a modern VFS implementation, so if you like
20 to use ZFS on Linux you first need to provide a suitable VFS interface.
21 ZFS will not interact with the Linux kernel directly but with the expected VFS
22 layer. Shouldn't it be possible to put this intermediate layer under a license
23 that makes even the zealots happy?
24
25 > You are making a spurious claim by saying "you have to decide on whether
26 > the kernel is a derivative work of ZFS or ..."
27
28 If you go the non-lawful Stallman way and insist in a derivative work to be
29 build, then the linux kernel is the derivative work. I prefer to assume that
30 this just builds a collective work ;-)
31
32 > In what possible way could the entire Linux kernel be considered a
33 > derivative work of ZFS? That doesn't make any sense.
34
35 I am just quoting claims from Stallman ;-)
36
37 Jörg
40 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
41 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)