From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't run `X -configure' successfully.
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:46
1 On 6/11/06, gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > How do I know what is out of tree, and thus what needs to be rebuilt
4 > when I recompile my kernel? I'm using an older ATI Rage128
5 > All-in-Wonder (with the TV tuner), and through this process, I've
6 > re-emerged the ati-drivers. But, is there an easy way to tell what
7 > else *should* be recompiled?
8
9 You can 'emerge module-rebuild' and run that after each kernel
10 upgrade. Although the typical symptom of needing to rebuild an
11 out-of-tree module is that something breaks on reboot! :->
12
13 For example, if have the 'fglrx' driver in your xorg.oconf, then you
14 are using ATI's proprietary driver, and when you upgrade to a new
15 kernel and reboot X will fail to start until you re-merge ati-drivers.
16 But if you are using the open source 'ati' or 'radeon' drivers, you
17 will not have a problem.
18
19 So module-rebuild is really meant to be run immediately after updating
20 the kernel, but before you reboot.
21
22 HTH,
23 -Richard