From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 20:09:29
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > <<< SNIP >>>
5 >
6 > How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
7 > hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
8 > and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
9 > are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
10 > for ideas.
11 >
12 > Thanks much.
13 >
14 > Dale
15 >
16 > :-)  :-)
17 >
18 > P. S.  I haven't had time to deal with the video thing in previous
19 > thread.  It's on my todo list still.  :-(
23 I read the replies and got some ideas.  I don't have any favorite songs
24 or sayings so that wouldn't work with me.  I'm weird, as some know but
25 might not say it.  ROFL  I did come up with some things tho based on
26 replies.  I then googled for some password checker sites, found three or
27 so, and checked to see what they think about my password.  Here is some
28 results:
31 It would take a computer about 34 thousand years to crack your password
32
33 Medium size botnet About 143 billion years or Standard Desktop PC About
34 143 quadrillion years
35
36 Time to crack your password:  17 centuries or Review: Fantastic, using
37 that password makes you as secure as Fort Knox.
40 I'm not sure if one can convert that to NSA time or not.  o_O  The
41 password contains upper/lower case letters, couple symbols from up top
42 of the number keys and several numbers.  None of which anyone would be
43 able to guess in any way.  They have nothing to do with that list of
44 things not to use, birthdays etc.  If a person was trying to just guess
45 it, even a best friend who knows me extremely well, they would not be
46 able to guess it much less the order of it.  The only bad thing, it
47 isn't to easy to type.  Of course, a really good password usually isn't
48 so . . .
49
50 I'm going to practice typing that thing in a bit to see if I get the
51 hang of it.  Maybe it will grow on me or I can come up with a change
52 that makes it easier to type.
53
54 Thanks to all for the suggestions.  It did help.  Some were sort of
55 funny but they would make a good password easy to remember.
56
57 Dale
58