From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Almost Completely OT - Hacking the Telephone Adapter
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:27:15
1 Michael Sullivan <michael <at> espersunited.com> writes:
4 > allow us to use our analog phones with Vonage. Since it's plugged in to
5 > our router, I found its IP address and scanned it with nmap. The thing
6 > allows http and ssh access. nmap said the adapter runs Linux with a
7 > 2.4.x kernel. I played around some with the web interface after
8 > discovering the username and password.
9
10 Interesting, My vonage device is made by motorola, but, they have
11 a large amount of processors running uClinux to a full linux (w/MMU)>
12
13 Can you tell what the chipset is? If so, go to that semi company
14 and look at their published app notes.
18 > I'd really like to view some of
19 > the configuration settings and maybe see exactly how OUR adapter
20 > translates analog data into digital data,
23 That's not hard, most devices run a flavor of 'sip' and if you poke about
24 the sources to various protocols, associated with slip (megaco etc etc)
25
26 You'll figure how how it works. Often, vendors do not stray far from
27 published code.....
28
29 plus I've never looked around
30 > an embedded system before, but the username used for the web interface
31 > is not an actual account on the adapters OS. I'd like to look around
32 > in there, but I don't the names of any of the accounts, and even if I
33 > did, I don't know the password. The only way I know that the username I
34 > used to get into the web interface is not an account on the system is
35 > because I can view the system log from the web interface. I own the
36 > adapter; it's sitting on my desk beside me. I just want to explore the
37 > filesystem.
40 Interested in embedded system, are we?
41
42 gentoo_embedded is what you want......
46 Is there any way I can get in? Does anyone know any tricks
47 > for doing this?
50 Not sure I'd discuss this in an open forum, but, if you look long enough
51 you can find just about anything from XP to cisco sources, so
52 I'd not be surprised to learn of vonage sources.
53
54 But, let me introduce you to the CLUE_TRAIN....
55
56 It's a thousand times easier to write, debug and use code you
57 develop, than to poke around a starving_vendor's property.
58 If you start looking 'under the hood' of the average embedded
59 system, your likely to be disappointed.......... Beside
60 why not just ask the company for a job, cause most of them
61 have lots of broken or poorly_written embeddecd code. Vonage
62 is no exception. I know one MAJOR router vendor that routinely uses
63 driver code directly from a silicon company.......caveat emptor!
64
65 PS, if you put Vonage out of business (hacking and publishing their
66 code) it's very likely there will not be any serious competitors
67 with AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and all of the other behemoths.....
70 HTH,
71
72 James
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list