From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Avoiding HAL
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:23:34
1 On Tuesday 08 February 2011 01:00:11 Keith Dart wrote:
2
3 > That really sounds like flaky hardware, possibly bad memory. try
4 > running memtest86+. Let it run overnight.
5
6 That's what I thought. I have run memtest86+ overnight, but of course it
7 didn't find anything.
8
9 As Gentoo seems to be immune to this problem, I assume that other kernels
10 are setting some parameters that push the hardware to its limit, so the next
11 thing I'll try is to detune the performance somewhat. Trouble is, the BIOS
12 setup screens have so many parameters to adjust that I don't know where to
13 start.
16 Rgds
17 Peter.