From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 22:08:40
1 On Monday, 24 October 2022 14:49:46 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2022-10-23, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > That is true on Linux. Most linux software could care less what the
4 > > extension is or if it even has one. Heck, you could likely change a
5 > > .mp4 to .txt and it would open with a video player just by clicking on
6 > > it. Thing is, if I share a file with someone who uses windoze, I'm not
7 > > sure if it would work the same way. A wrong extension could cause
8 > > problems, either not opening at all or crashing something. It's
9 > > windoze, one can't expect much. ROFL
10 >
11 > A friend of mine once spent days trying to re-encode a video file into
12 > a format that could be handled by a particular windows app. No matter
13 > what codecs/parameters he tried, the app couldn't open the file. He
14 > finally figured out that the app in question had hard requirements for
15 > the filename suffix, and they chose a somewhat non-nstandard extension
16 > for that container format.
17 >
18 > It turned out that any of the codec/parameter combinations would have
19 > been fine, it was just the filename that was causing the problem.
20
21 So the hubris of those two college dropouts still haunts the Windows world.
22 What a legacy.
25 Regards,
26 Peter.