From: Jonathan Chocron <jonathan.chocron@××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Confused with the --oneshot option of portage.
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 07:22:52
1 Hello !
2
3 I am getting a bit confused with the --oneshot option of portage (as the title
4 says).
5
6 I need to do a little bit of portage history before asking a my question,
7 sorry. If the following is wrong, please correct me !
8
9 Once upon a time, in the happy land of portage, there was a file named world.
10 This file knew of all the packages that inhabited a planet called gentoo
11 system.
12
13 Then, this file was cruelly deleted by the gods known as gentoo devs. It was
14 not cruel or anything, it was just that the file had served its purposed and
15 was now to be regenerated every time someone invoked "emerge -Dup world".
16
17 The world of the packages became two-tiered : some of them, the noble packages
18 were present in world, some of them, the working class, known as
19 the "libraries" did not have that privilege. The terrible truth was that they
20 slowed portage down, and, as they were servants to the noble package would
21 find their way in an "emerge -Dup world" anyway by the mechanism of
22 dependency.
23
24 Ok, I am sorry about the above, I've only slept 2 hours.
25
26 So, here are my questions : With world being autogenerated
27
28 - If I emerge a library, like xvid with "emerge xvid", it will end up in
29 world. How do I revert that ? Do I have to emerge -C xvid and then
30 emerge --oneshot xvid ?
31
32 - If I emerge -Dup world, will the listed packages alkl end-up in world ?
33
34 - If I first emerge a package, for example kmail, with emerge kmail, and
35 later, during an upgrade phase, do an emerge --oneshot kmail, will kmail be
36 removed from world ?
37
38 Thanks to those who had the patience to read this. And more thanks to those
39 who will answer !
40
41 Regards,
42