From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:19:35
1 On Thursday 29 March 2007 02:19:57 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
3 > > That said, I'm very encouraged about ext4, and will probably migrate
4 > > some unimportant data over to that filesystem in near future and
5 > > perform my own bonnie++ tests.
6 >
7 > How do you plan to get around the decidedly non-trivial task of getting
8 > a decent fsck on a filesystem where plugins handle the metadata?
9 >
10 > Don't get me wrong, I think reiser4 is a good idea, and it's well
11 > thought out. But everything comes at a price, and in this case it's
12 > fsck
15 I think you misread me. I'm interested in ext4, and disappointed in
16 NameSys'
17 handling of reiser4. I love the *idea* of reiser4, but being able the
18 resize
19 the filesystem is *mandatory* for my setup, and I don't get that with
20 reiser4. However, forward movement on a resizer (and other, currently
21 vaporware, filesystem features/utilties) had been completely abandoned to
22 the
23 effort of getting reiser4 mainlined, well before Hans' legal troubles
24 started. I feel this was/is a mistake; I have no problem running
25 mm-sources
26 when it has a feature I desire. But with the filesystem as it is I can't
27 actually use it for more than testing.
28
29 I've heard some (but not enough) about ext4 and it seems promising. I'm
30 keeping my eye on it, and will probably throw some "production" data on it
31 before it's mainlined.
34 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
35 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
36 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
37 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/